An Open Letter to My Mom


The last time I did this (write a letter to my mom) is during college. 

I remember that it is not quite good words what I wrote in there. But you are amazing and never did I see any resentment upon you reading it. I was full of hate and bitterness then but somehow thankful for being a wonderful mom to me and my siblings.

Today, I am writing this because I want you to know how much I appreciate you in my life. 

When I was young, we never celebrated my birthday because my birth month falls to enrollment. Our money was spent to enrollment fees, uniforms, notebooks, pens, school shoes and other stuff that we need for school. I use to question you that time and thought that I was taken for granted. 

Today, I thank you for that moment where you had to choose between short term and long term happiness. Thank you for choosing books over a nice frosted cake.Thank you for teaching me that choices are tough but you will never go wrong if you make the right choices in life. 

It was after high school graduation when you told me that I will not go to college if I didn't pursue the scholarship which offers courses I never liked in the first place. You said that you will prioritize my sister to go to college first. My dreams were broken into pieces after hearing that. 

But today I thank you because you have thought me how to strive hard to pursue my dreams. I learned that getting what we want is not the only thing that matters in this world but rather making the most of every situation and having the courage to continue to do what you want.

You never showed up to any parent-teacher meeting, school program and almost missed my high school graduation. I marched during my graduation half of it with my sister Chie and half of it with "Tatay". Then suddenly you showed up when I was called to get my awards. 

Well, you deserve to be there with me though I felt pity for not having a mom to march with me. All that I am and all the recognition that I get will always be because of you. You have thought me the importance of excelling not to impress anyone but to do it for my self. You never force me to get all the medals and awards but you were just there watching as I soar high. 

You were not present when I gave birth to my kids because we were oceans apart. But that made me realize how tough you are for raising 5 kids all by yourself. I only have 2 at the moment, but I do want to give up at times or at least take a break. 

Now that I am a mom. I realize the sacrifices that you had to endure were never easy. That it's easier to give up your own needs and wants rather than choosing between us our siblings. That you always want the best for us and to provide everything that we need. 

You have been through enough. Enough sacrifices. Enough Pain. 

And so today, on your birthday, I just pray for your happiness, enjoyment and peace of mind.

I always pray that you will meet the Lord in a very special way to help you overcome yourself and serve Him. I pray for your freedom from sins that hinders you to enjoy the life that the Lord has prepared for you.


Remember that I owe to you who I am today. 

You are a wonderful woman and an amazing mom.

Thank you for not giving up on us. 

How I wish to be there and be your helping hand. And I regret to have not done this when I was young. I'm sorry. 

Enjoy your day Mommy! Thank you for everything.

I love you so much with all my heart! God Bless you always!





Comments

Popular Posts